Consider the following statements about National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA)
1. It functions under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
2. It fixes/revises the prices of controlled bulk drugs and formulations
Select the correct statements
a 1 Only
b 2 Only
c Both 1 and 2
d Neither 1 nor 2
Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers
· NPPA is an organization of the Government of India which was established, inter alia, to fix/ revise the prices of controlled bulk drugs and formulations and to enforce prices and availability of the medicines in the country, under the Drugs (Prices Control) Order, 1995.
· The organization is also entrusted with the task of recovering amounts overcharged by manufacturers for the controlled drugs from the consumers.
· It also monitors the prices of decontrolled drugs in order to keep them at reasonable levels.
Functions of National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority
· to implement and enforce the provisions of the Drugs (Prices Control) Order in accordance with the powers delegated to it.
· to deal with all legal matters arising out of the decisions of the Authority;
· to monitor the availability of drugs, identify shortages, if any, and to take remedial steps;
· to collect/ maintain data on production, exports and imports, market share of individual companies, profitability of companies etc, for bulk drugs and formulations;
· to undertake and/ or sponsor relevant studies in respect of pricing of drugs/ pharmaceuticals;
· to recruit/ appoint the officers and other staff members of the Authority, as per rules and procedures laid down by the Government;
· to render advice to the Central Government on changes/ revisions in the drug policy;
· to render assistance to the Central Government in the parliamentary matters relating to the drug pricing.