Recently, Indian and Chinese armies clashed along the Pangong lake in Ladakh. Consider the following statements regarding Pangong Lake:
1. It is a landlocked lake in the Ladakh Himalayas.
2. It is part of the Indus river basin area.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Both 1 and 2
Neither 1 nor 2
• Pangong Tso is a long narrow, deep, landlocked lake located at a height of over 14,000-feet in the Ladakh Himalaya and around 1300- km west of Sikkim.
• It is a brackish water lake freezes over in winter, and becomes ideal for ice skating and polo.
• It is not a part of Indus river basin area.
• The lake is in the process of being identified under the Ramsar Convention as a wetland of international importance. This will be the first trans-boundary wetland in South Asia under the convention.