India will launch electronic intelligence satellite Emisat on April 1
- ISRO will soon launch EMISAT, an electronic intelligence satellite on board PSLV (PSLV-C45).
- EMISAT will be launched into low earth orbit at the height of 749 km above the surface of the earth.
In focus: EMISAT
- EMISAT is an electronic intelligence satellite developed by ISRO and DRDO.
- The 435-kg EMISAT was developed under project KAUTILYA of Defence Electronics Research Laboratory of DRDO.
- It is basically designed to intercept signals from enemy radars in order to develop effective jamming techniques to counter the enemy radar.
- Satellite-based electronic intelligence will augment the armed forces to counter radars.
- It will be launched in a highly elliptical orbit to maximize the dwell time over specific signal recording area.
In brief: Electronic intelligence (ELINT)
- Electronic Intelligence basically involves interception of signals from radars.
- Once the signal is intercepted, the ELINT system collects data related to radar signals including its bandwidth, intensity, location from where it is emitted etc creating what is called a RF signature. (Radio frequency)
- Once the RF signature is created it can be used for locating and identifying the radar in subsequent encounters.
- It can also help in developing appropriate jamming techniques to counter the radar.
Section : Science & Tech