Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) has been identified as a global threat that can cause serious health and economic problems. Discuss the reasons leading AMR to this alarming level and give suitable measures to tackle it.
- Introduce with AMR and concerns involved.
- Point out the causes of growth in AMR.
- Mention the suitable measures.
- Conclude with mentioning the recent steps taken by India and WHO.(Very briefly)
- Overprescription, self-medication, over the counter sale of antimicrobials resulting into over-use of antibiotics in treating diseases.
- Patients often do not finish the entire course of medicine.
- Spread of AMR microorganisms due to poor public sanitation and hygiene.
- Poor infection control by hospitals is a major reason for the spread of AMR.
- Antimicrobials are used indiscriminately in animal husbandry and crop farming, causing AMR resistant microorganisms to enter into the food chain.
- There is lack of new antimicrobials being developed that can be effective in tackling AMR.
- Enhance public awareness with respect to proper use of Antimicrobials.
- Over the counter sale of antimicrobials needs to be strictly regulated.
- Strengthen the surveillance network for monitoring new AMR.
- Precision methods need to be developed to facilitate optimal usage of antimicrobials in animal husbandry and crop farming.
- Sanitation and hygiene need to be promoted to stop the spread of AMR microorganisms.
- Enhance research and development to develop new and advanced antimicrobials.
Subjects : Science and Technology