Describe some of the major elements of India’s rich cultural diversity. (150 words)
- Introduce with how India is home to rich cultural diversity
- Discuss major elements of cultural diversity, including race, religion and language
- Conclude appropriately
India is considered the hotspot of the world in terms of diversity. The large geographical span of India has been home to and given birth to numerous races, religions, languages etc. This rich cultural diversity is further enhanced by the immigration of numerous groups with their culturtal elements that have made India their home, including Parsis, Christians, Muslims etc.
Elements of cultural diversity in India include:
- Race: Anthropological Survey of India classified India into 6 racial groups namely Negrito, Proto-Australoids, Mongoloids, Mediterranean, Nordic, etc.
- Language: India is home to nearly 179 languages and 544 dialects out of which 122 are major languages belonging to 5 linguistic families.
- Religion: It is characterised by a diversity of religious beliefs and practices. Religious tolerance has been one of the keystones of Indian culture. India is the birthplace of four of the world’s major religions i.e. Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism.
- Architecture: Indian has various temples, caves, stupas, forts, sarais, tombs etc. which reflect architectural diversity. India liberally imported features from other countries and integrated them in India’s architecture style.
- Dance forms: India has great diversity in dance forms practised, including folk dances, tribal dances, classical dances etc. The popular classical dances include Kathak, Manipuri, Bharatanatyam etc.
The diversity is our rich heritage and coexistence of such diverse elements is reflected in our philosophy of ‘Unity in diversity’.
Subjects : Society