Information Technology can play an important role in transforming agriculture by providing information to the farmers to make informed decisions. Discuss.
- Introduce with the need to integrate technology in agriculture
- Explain how IT can help farmer through information dissemination
- Conclude with NeGP-A that seeks to transform the availability of information to farmers
To meet the growing needs of our country’s increasing population as well as make agriculture viable for the large portion dependent on this sector, we have to innovate, work with farmers to infuse knowledge and technology. Information Technology can help improve farmers’ lives by helping raise the farm productivity and income levels through provision of relevant information and services.
The benefits of using IT:
Pre harvest support:
- Agricultural extension: Farmers can get latest information on variety of seeds, pesticides, machines, cropping method, animal husbandry, pisciculture information etc. online. Kisan Mitra, Agroweb, krishivihar are already supporting farmers free of cost.
- Weather and disaster: They can get latest updates on sowing time, pest spread, disease spread and disaster related information. Further it helps in soil and water management planning.
- Policy: They can get information about latest policy, MSP rates, demand and rates of crop, insurance and subsidy information.
- Market Information: They can get information of market prices at various mandi (eNAM), transport , storage rates etc. and can book them online. Further it helps them in future/ commodity trading.
- Subsidy and loan: Farmers can get information of subsidy, loan, weavers and funds etc.
- Awareness: Farmers can plan selling rates and time their products according to future statistics. Government can also educate them according to latest farm practices and global scenarios. Kisan Helplines are also solving their various queries in their local language.
The mission of sustainable agriculture, evergreen revolution and doubling farmers income can be aided by reducing digital divide and IT-Agriculture integration. The Union government has included Agriculture Mission Mode Project under NeGP (NeGP A) to integrate all the diverse information currently existing in silos, to disseminate information to farmers on time.
Subjects : Economy