Headline : How a district in Rajasthan shot to the top of ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’ chart
- Nagaur district of Rajasthan has become one of the country’s 10 best performing districts in the awareness generation and outreach activities category under the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme.
Child Sex Ratio (CSR): Number of girls per 1000 of boys between 0-6 years of age
- The trend of decline in the Child Sex Ratio (CSR) has been unabated since 1961.
- The CSR declined from 945 in 1991 to 927 in 2001 and further to 918 in 2011.
- A decline in the CSR is a major indicator of women disempowerment, and reflects
- pre-birth discrimination (sex selective abortion)
- post-birth discrimination (limited access to health, nutrition and education).
- For coordinated and convergent efforts needed to ensure survival, protection and empowerment of the girl child, Government announced Beti Bachao Beti Padhao initiative.
About: Beti Bachao Beti Padhao initiative
- Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) was launched by the Prime Minister in 2015 as a comprehensive scheme that promotes the girl child’s empowerment, with Pan-India expansion in March 2018 to all 640 Districts (Census 2011).
- This is a joint initiative of Ministry of Women and Child Development, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- Prevention of gender biased sex selective elimination
- Ensuring survival & protection of the girl child
- Ensuring education and participation of the girl child
- The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) initiatives introduced in the district have resulted in the increase in the child sex ratio from 897 in 2011 to 965 now.
- Initiatives under the BBBP:
- Chuppi Todo Abhiyaan (Break the Silence): Chuppi Todo Abhiyan helped the district to spread awareness about menstrual hygiene.
- Girl Birth Celebration: Celebration of birth of girl child by the district administration has also contributed towards building the new narrative.
- Ratri Chaupals (night public hearings): Ratri Chaupals are organised regularly and competitions and interactions are held to bring issues of women to the forefront, with the first subject discussed in the public hearing is Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao.
- Coffee with Collector: The initiative has helped in increasing independence of women representatives such as Sarpanch. Direct interaction of surpanch with people has resulted into more women coming up and confiding about their issues.
Section : Social Issues